Sunday, October 28, 2007

Finishing up the Animation for real - continued

Installment 2:

So the lighting turned out to be quite a bit trickier than I had expected. Will's advice has been invaluable as has the Mastering Maya 8.5 book. Philip gave us a nice insight last Tuesday telling us we should move the poster from the center of the wall. It does help a lot to keep your attention focused on the bulb. You don't get distracted by the poster that shows through his transparent body. I got the lighting down to a point light in the lamp (with Will's advice) and another point light in the ceiling that I used to lighten up the scene. I turned off the shadows on that light to make things simpler. Getting the lamp to look right was a lot of work. I'm still not sure about it, but it will have to do. I feel like I'm doing triage sometimes, "fix that guy up and send him back to the front!"

Will helped us with the smoothing of the bulb, which now looks quite good I think. Here is a render:


This is the first frame of shot 2

So you may be wondering what that is peaking up from the bottom of the frame. Well we were having a hard time making the fly POV camera work. So Will to the rescue...he suggested we just put a fly in the shot, parent it to the camera and animate it's wings and voila. I added a bit of texturing to the body and made the wings translucent and shimmery looking (very quickly, "back to the front with him!"). Here is a shot with the fly fully in frame:



The little guy looks pretty neat flying around Phil's bulb. The translucent wings make a nice difference (another Will suggestion).




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]